Thursday 13 December 2012

Why I joined Sculpture on the Greens?


Let me start with a question: do you think art brings people together?

I think YES. Artists are one key to societies moving forward and developing in a balance and sustainable way. Artists imagine and generate ideas that take our communities and culture to different levels.

Let me tell you a secret: once upon a time I was trained to become a sculptor… well, I just couldn’t afford doing metal casting while paying my bills (and robbing a bank is never an option). I found curating/producing equally satisfying, dedicating my energies and I am determined to make things happen. Unfortunately, I found support was difficult to gather from friends and family and the community in general.  ‘Sculpture on the Greens’ is a very well meaning project, a NEW MODEL, with good planning to assist sculptors make things happen and spread the word about them and their art.

With the provision of stipends for all selected finalists, and mentoring programs for young artists, I think this is closest to the direction that I have been looking for.

Posts in May 2013 will also give some details of this great egalitarian exhibition, describing some new and innovative ways that we are breaking down the barriers, leveling the playing field and bring sculpture to our communities.

I am proud to be associated with this project and look forward to the exhibition growing to support sculptors in a way they deserve.